Monday, June 11, 2012

I thought I saw a hawk running away with a chicken Friday

last Friday, my day didn't start out like anyone else's in my office.  I got in from California at 10:00 on Thursday night.  Then the hour plus home from the airport, on the way home I bought some Fritos and a sprite.  Once home, I had a beer and a hard boiled egg.

I'm up at 6:00.  As is my habit, I put on pajama pants, a t-shirt and a fleece, went down stairs, made coffee and started to empty the dishwasher.  Something was wrong.  The chickens were making too much noise.  So I looked out the window.  I knew something was really wrong when I saw Bill running down into the yard.  Bill is our favorite rooster.  We have about 5, 4 too many.  Bill never ins down into the yard, Only Tom does.

I fumbled with my shotgun and tried to find shells.  I have a great ability to forget where I keep my guns.  Something one would think one would not easily misplace.  I managed 2 Upland Game loads.  Pretty light, 2 3/4 inch shells.  I walked up to the chicken coop, realizing I really couldn't see yet.  My eyes are sort of fuzzy in the morning.  If you are over 50, you probably understand.

The chickens were in an uproar.  A chicken fit if you will.  I didn't see any obvious predator.  no cats.  Then I saw the horses jump about.  so I climbed the fence (yes, in my pajamas) into the paddock.  I found a baby chick.  wondered if it was EmmaGrace's favorite one, she named it Ally.

Out in the pasture I saw what looked like a hawk waddle running through the field.  I rubbed my eyes and blinked several times, then realized it was a fox carrying a chicken so I "aimed" the shotgun and shot.  Not surprisingly,  given that I had just woken up and just hours before had been in California ... I'm guessing I missed since just then, the chicken that looked like a waddling hawk but was really the potential meal of a fox, came running back towards me.  He was actually my least favorite rooster ....

I then climbed the fence into the pasture (yes in my pajamas) and wandered about a bit.  I scared up a fox, another fox, the same fox, I don't really know.  I shot my last round.  I didn't find anything.  Given the length of the pasture grass and my level of awareness, it isn't surprising that I missed.

I told EmmaGrace (our daughter) about the events of the morning.  By the time I got home Friday night, Kathy was wondering why I killed a fox.  13 year old girls can get things rather mixed up and exaggerated ......

My 3" heavy loads are now next to my gun and I think I'll be mowing the pasture this weekend.  I wonder what I'll find tomorrow ?  I'm getting up early.

No comments:

Post a Comment